Drug and Alcohol Testing or Drug and Alcohol Screening is becoming increasingly important in the workplace as the impact of alcohol and other recreational drug use can present a serious risk to health and safety.
To ensure an efficient and accurate Drug and Alcohol Test, we offer two forms of testing including Saliva and Urine.
Urine Drug and Alcohol Testing
Urine Drug testing is conducted in accordance with AS/NZS4308:2008 requirements, with collection usually being either supervised or witnessed by the collector as per the client’s drug and alcohol policy requirements and in always accordance with Section 2 of the standard. Sonic HealthPlus collectors are RTO trained to ensure end-to-end chain of custody and specimen integrity. The instant immunoassay device test is simple and effective, with results visually interpreted within minutes whereas a laboratory immunoassay test has a 24-hour turn-around time: both tests being NATA accredited and available per client preference.
As per AS/NZS4308:2008 requirements, any initial non-negative urine drug test result requires mandatory confirmatory testing either using GCMS or LCMS methodology at a NATA accredited laboratory who then provides a legally defensible confirmatory result in as quickly as 48-hours.
Our trained staff perform Breath Alcohol testing consistent with AS3457:1997 requirements using calibrated, hand-held Type-2 electronic devices. A second positive breath alcohol test performed 15 minutes after the first positive is a legally defensible confirmatory result. There is no NATA accreditation available for breath alcohol testing. Alternatively a client may request a Urine Alcohol laboratory test, however, there being no Australian Standard cut-off values for urine alcohol, it would be up to the employer to seek expert MRO advice on result interpretation.
Benefits of Instant Urine Drug Testing
Our instant testing services are NATA accredited (AS/NZ 4308:2008- Appendix A) and have a quick turnaround time for results. Instant testing offers a range of benefits including:
- Indicative non-negative or negative results in six class drugs including Methamphetamines, Cocaine, Marijuana, Opiates and Benzodiazepines.
- Integrity and adulteration tests to assist in identifying result tampering.
- Daily quality control testing for the instant devices used and ongoing device and collector participation in an external quality assurance program (RCPA)
Saliva Drug and Breath Alcohol Testing
- Saliva Drug device testing is an oral fluid based immunoassay test for illicit and/or prescription drug use and is performed consistent with AS4760:2006 requirements. This test is simple and discrete, with results visually interpreted within minutes. Indicative non-negative or negative results in five class drugs including Methamphetamines, Cocaine, Marijuana and Opiates.
- Non-Negative oral fluid samples are sent for confirmatory testing to a NATA accredited laboratory.
- Although performed consistent with the standard, this service is not currently NATA accredited due to technical issues recently cited by NATA.
Additional Drug Testing
Clients requiring testing for drugs of abuse other than those stated with cut-off or target values in the relevant standards may be assisted after discussions with a Sonic HealthPlus MRO or Occupational Physician and approval by the General Manager: Clinical Governance.
Medical Review Officer (MRO) Services
Our Specialised Services Unit provides a variety of expert interpretive MRO services tailored to client needs at a fee for service. Contact your local clinic for information and assistance.
What is NATA accreditation?
The National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) is the authority that provides independent assurance of technical competence through a proven network of best practice industry experts for customers who require confidence in the delivery of their products and services.
Sonic HealthPlus is one of the few providers who have achieved NATA accreditation for specimen collection, detection and quantitation of drugs of abuse in urine. Unlike certification, NATA accreditation focuses on overall compliance with systems and processes, rather than technical competence. It also provides you with the assurance that if required, the results will withstand legal challenge in Australian courts.