Below are some tips to help you manage stress at work.
As a reminder you can also download the wallet card and/or poster at the bottom of the page.
- Breath: find a quiet space somewhere and take 10 deep, slow breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth. Focus on the air moving through your body, calming your mind and slowing everything down. Repeat as needed.
- Listen: music has been used for hundreds of years to restore harmony between the mind and body. Listen to whatever you feel is needed to calm you down and steady your mind.
- Laugh: laughing has many positive impacts ranging from improving your immune system to soothing tension. Try watching a funny video on YouTube, telling a joke or thinking of something that made you laugh previously. Just laugh!
- Draw: put your pen on a piece of paper and don’t lift it up for 60 seconds. Your drawing does not have to make sense - that’s the point. An overwhelmed mind is often relieved by a mindless activity.
- Wriggle: your toes, nose and fingers to promote circulation and awaken your body.
- Stop: before you leave work for the day, reflect about what you’ve achieved and what you can do tomorrow. If needed, write a to-do list to help keep track of your tasks. It’s important to be responsible and to do a good job, but it’s also important to be happy and content, recognising that work is just work.